Sunday, July 9, 2017

HOPE AFTER THE STORM

                             Aliki Charter School (William Frantz Public School) today

After Hurricane Katrina, my family and I had opportunity to work on some rehab projects in Upper Ninth Ward. Ten years later, after a recent trip back, I marvel at what the investment of time, resources, and most of all hope has meant to a community devastated by circumstances beyond its control.

I especially recall my fascination with William Frantz Public School, the 1960 setting for a hard fought American lesson in integration.  Accompanied by federal marshalls, it was here that Ruby Bridges, a brave little first grader, crossed picket lines to attend a then all-White public school.

After Hurricane Katrina (circa 2005)

For many years, I have told the story of Ruby's bravery in the classrooms I have taught.  My elementary school students on the West Coast listened with fascination and bewilderment. How? Why? What?  Their questions reflected their lack of a relatable reference point (a good problem to have).  I loved that they assumed everyone was equal.

After Hurricane Katrina (circa 2005)

Now to walk in the halls and to trace Ruby's steps in 2017 is especially meaningful. To bear witness to its physical transformation as well as reflect on our nation in the past 57 years speaks of hope. This history will not be forgotten and in our remembering maybe we can recommit to continuing to move forward to help create a better future for our children.

Ruby's classroom (restored to original today 2017)

Historical markers on front lawn of Aliki Charter School
                 
                        (A special thanks to the visionaries of this project in New Orleans, La.)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment